July 11, 2011

Squid Cat

 (screenshot from coraline.com)

When Coraline came to theaters, I was beyond excited.  I absolutely love stop-motions/claymations.  As much as I enjoyed the film and main characters, it was the details that really struck me.  My favorite little creature was the Squid Cat that sat on Coraline's shelf.

I've been wanting to create my own Squid Cat out of felt but never really took the time to sit down and drawn a pattern.  I did make a drawing of him (with two eyes and fangs) with one of my cameras.  Lately, I've been mesmerized by artists that work in miniature.  So, I thought I'd try making a tiny clay Squid Cat.


Overall, I'm happy with my new little friend.  I'm sure there was a better way to sculpt him, but I actually made him on the tip of my finger... which he stuck to.  I also dropped him on my way to the oven.  So, I may have to leave the tiny sculpting alone.  It was fun to experiment, though.

What have you been experimenting with?

-Mandy