October 5, 2010

Tutorial: Recycled Film Strip Earrings

I think recycled crafts are great!  Some ordinary objects can be transformed into incredible new things.

I happen to have a lot of 35mm film negatives.  I've been working on my film strip jewelry series and thought it would be cool to use actual film.  So, I came up with a little tutorial to share.

What you'll need:

* 35mm negatives or pieces of film
* scissors
* hole punch
* pliers
* earring hooks



1.  Use scissors to cut film into desired shape.  For this project, I cut part of a negative in half to make two pieces.  You could leave the strips whole or make shapes like hearts.  Skip to step 3 if you are just making shapes.


 


2.  Pinch the ends of one of the cut strips together to form a loop and punch through both pieces with the hole punch.  DO NOT FOLD.




3.  Use the pliers to attach the earring hook.  Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other earring.  Tip:  tighten the earring ring so that it overlaps.  This will prevent the film from slipping off of the earring hook.






Simple as that!  You can even mix it up by drawing designs on the film.